Bromley-By-Bow Gasworks

The seven gasholder structures would subdivide the park into a series of semi-permeable spaces, allowing a rich variety of experiences to be created.

Fireworks over the park celebrate the history of the gasworks and reveal the drama of a park that embraces the site's industrial past.

Add your comment

Please note:

  • Comments will not appear on this page until they have been approved by the administrator.
  • Comments are restricted to 500 characters.

Name (Required)

Email (Required - will not be shown)

Copy the code into the box below

:

Bromley-By-Bow Gasworks

Celebrate the industrious history of Lea Valley with a new urban park

Situated along the banks of the River Lea in east London, is the Bromley-by-Bow Gasworks. It was originally the site of the gunpowder rocket factory of William Congreve, which provided the rockets fired by the British against the Americans in the bombardment of Fort McHenry in 1814. The very same rockets that inspired a line in the Star Spangled Banner: ‘and the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air’.

Constructed between 1872 and 1878, the seven gasholders became grade II listed structures after production ceased in the 1960s. Opening up and reconnecting the site to the existing green infrastructure of east London would create an unconventional public green space, one defined by the towering Victorian gasholders.

These structures would subdivide the park into a series of semi-permeable spaces allowing the creation of a rich variety of experiences.

The largest gasholder, to the south, would feature an observation deck on the top, providing fantastic views over numerous London landmarks, including Canary Wharf, the Shard, the Olympic Park and the 02 Arena. It would celebrate the industrious history of the Lea Valley and provide a viewpoint from which to enjoy the future evolution of London.

Category

Creating new parks

Location

Bromley

Submitted by

Rory Nichol

rorynichol@gmail.com

Go back to projects

Landscape Institute

 

© Landscape Institute. Registered in England and Wales as Charity Number 1073396.